Confectionary Designs is a boutique bakery located in Northern NJ, specializing in custom cakes, cookies, and pastries. Please visit us at http://www.confectionarydesigns.com

Contact Information: info@confectionarydesigns.com / 201-655-2302

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

5 Days of Christmas: Part V

 
This cake is a little extra special for me as it was made for my step-grandson who cannot eat eggs or gluten. So what's a baker to do!! I found a great gluten-free recipe (see below) and used an egg-replacer by Ener-G. The cake is wrapped in a chocolate transfer which you can find at cake decorating stores or online (just search 'chocolate transfer sheet').

The hardest part about this cake was the white chocolate curls on top - it took several tries to get them to curl properly, but after working with the chocolate for a while I found it was 'all in the wrist.' I used a vegetable peeler on a white chocolate bar and put more pressure on the end of the peeler that was away from me; then flicked my wrist in a 'curling' action, and voila! white chocolate curls!
For a good step-by-step tutorial on wrapping a chocolate transfer around a cake go to Fancy Flours.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake: (recipe taken from Bob's Red Mill website)

Ingredients
•1-1/2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
•1 cup Brown Sugar
•1/2 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
•1 tsp. Baking Soda
•1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
•3/4 tsp. Salt
•1/2 cup Milk (cow, soy or rice)
•1/3 cup Butter, Margarine or Shortening
•1 large Egg (I used the egg replacement for this but you can use an egg if desired)
•1 tsp. Vanilla
•3/4 cup warm brewed Coffee
Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 11" X 7" nonstick pan (note: I used 2-6" rounds). Set aside. Place all ingredients, except coffee, in large bowl and blend with electric mixer. Add coffee and mix until thoroughly blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Serves 12.

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cake! Love that white chocolate curls on top and it's eggless too...

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the grandfather, and I was grateful for Stephanie's offer to make the cake. I was even more grateful when I tasted it, and saw my grandson's smile when he realized that this beautiful cake was something he could eat. And he did eat - 2 big slices, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete