One of the best parts of running a custom bakery is coming up with designs that fit the client, the venue, and the overall affair. The above cake just says "winter wedding" to me! OK - so there are no snowflakes, or sugar paste elves, but my partner did a great job designing this wedding cake for a very elegant, black-tie wedding. This white cake with black and super-pearl accents looked perfect on the cake table and complemented the classic decor.
So often we hear from clients "I want a simple cake" - this often makes me cringe as simple is often harder to do than a decorative cake. There is no room for error as the fondant and all the accents must be perfect because you can't hide anything!
All three tiers are made from our White Velvet Cake recipe which produces a wonderful, velvety texture. We needed to make 6 batches to complete the above cake. That's when a 20-quart mixer and 5-rack oven come in handy!
White Velvet Cake:
1 1/2 cups butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F . Grease and flour 2-8 inch" round pans
2. Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
5. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk.
6. Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool cake,