We have two days left until Christmas and some of my 'guaranteed to arrive by Dec. 23rd' packages still haven't arrived. Well, the day isn't over yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed else I may be one of those people you see at the mall a few hours before it closes on Christmas Eve!
In the meantime, we are still whipping up batches of various cookies to spread cheer in our bakery's neighborhood! The cookies above are full of glitter and the chocolate sugar cookie recipe is a nice change of taste from our basic sugar cookie. The almond extract complements the chocolate taste of these cookies perfectly!
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the almond extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out your cookies and cut out shapes using desired cutters.
- Bake cookies for 10 - 12 minutes (depending on the size of your shapes).
- Let cool and decorate as desired.