The above is a gift box cake we did for a dual baptism for two beautiful little girls. I really enjoy doing cakes like this because several of the design details can be made in advance and we are not rushing around trying to get the details together. For example, the gumpaste roses and the top tier's lid were all made several days in advance which allows for sufficient drying time.
Both tiers are a lightly-flavored Lemon Cake filled with Raspberry Meringue.
Lemon Cake: (note: this recipe can be halved to bake 2-8" pans)
- 8 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 20 oz. cake flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 24 oz granulated sugar
- 4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 20 fluid oz. whole milk
- 8 fluid oz. egg whites (about 8 large)
- Preheat oven to 350F; butter and line baking pans (we used 2-10" and 2-7" pans)
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the lemon zest and extract
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg whites
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar and beat lightly; scrape down bowl; beat in half the milk and egg mixture; add another third of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated; add the remaining milk and egg mixture and mix until incorporated; add the rest of the flour mixture and beat until just absorbed.
- Fill pans about 1/2 full (if using 2" pans) and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool layers for about 10 minutes, invert onto racks to cool