This apple tart recipe is just perfect - ever since trying it a few years ago, I have yet to make an apple pie. Try it and you will see why!
What you will need:
1 Recipe Walnut Frangipane:
- 5 oz. walnut pieces
- 4 oz. granulated sugar
- 4 oz. brown sugar
- 8 oz. softened butter
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 fluid oz. dark rum (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 2.5 oz. AP flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 8 apples
- 2 oz. melted butter mixed with cinnamon and sugar to taste
- Make the Pate Sucree and let rest in refrigerator for a few hours.
- Grease and line a half-sheet baking pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out Pate Sucree to approximately 1/4" thick and put on baking pan; let rest in refridgerator.
- Make Walnut Frangipane:
- Grind walnuts and granulated sugar together in a food processor until finely ground
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat walnut/sugar mixture and rum into the creamed butter
- Beat in eggs
- Whisk flour and baking powder together; add to mixer and stir until flour is absorbed
Spread the frangipane mixture evenly on the Pate Sucree
Core and peel apples, Slice in 1/4" slices and fan out heavily across the frangipane
Brush butter/cinnamon/sugar mixture over apples
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until frangipane is set.
I like to top this dessert off with cinnamon or vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.