Homemade marshmallows are an often requested item for our dessert bars. These clouds of yumminess stand on their own or can be incorporated into a traditional dessert, such as the good-old S'more.
The following recipe is what I consider my 'no fail' marshmallow recipe as it works perfect everytime! I've added pistachios to the following recipe, but you can flavor as you wish (e.g. vanilla bean, lemon zest, etc..).
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios (roasted and salted)
- 1/2 ounce granulated gelatin
- 3 fluid ounces cold water
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 fluid ounce light corn syrup
- 1 fluid ounce water
- 2 egg whites
- Sprinkle gelatin over 3 fluid ounces of cold water. Allow to hydrate.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except pistachios, in a mixing bowl. Place bowl over simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved (e.g. 140 degrees F).
- Add gelatin and whip at medium-high speed using the whisk attachment. Mixture will rise in volume and thicken (note: if you are using food coloring, add a few drops and continue to mix for a minute).
- Gently fold pistachios into mixture.
- Spread mixture onto a 1/4 sheet pan lined with plastic wrap and buttered.
- Chill in refridgerator for approximately 2 hours to fully set.
- Cut into desired sizes (note: you may also use a cookie cutter to create shapes).